Groundspeak has even created a special web site for these Events. Here you will find maps and lists of various events across the country, and information about hosting a 10 Years! Event. If you think you might like to host one, here's what you need to know:
Anyone can host a 10 Years! Event April 30 - May 3, 2010. Be sure to check your local event calendar before submitting one, though: it may already be planned. In addition to the standard event cache Guidelines, there are a few additional guidelines that you will need to follow if you wish your event to qualify for a 10 Years! cache type icon.
- Events must be held April 30 - May 3, 2010.
- The name of the event needs to be formatted this way: "10 Years! (your location)."
- At least 10 people must attend.
- Flashmobs do not qualify.
- A video or picture must be taken at the event.
- The people in the video/picture should be festive. Keep it family-friendly.
As of this posting, the search brings up 336 different events. If you want to see a list of the closest 10 Years! Events to your home coordinates, just create a pocket query using the following search criteria:
- Show Me 500 Caches
- Selected Types Event Cache
- From Origin My Home Coordinates
- Within A Radius of 500 miles [note: 500 miles is the maximum allowable]
- Placed During Between April 30, 2010 and May 3, 2010
Leave all the other search criteria selections alone, then submit the query and preview the search. You should see a list of 10 Years! Events sorted from closest to furthest, which should help you choose which one to attend!
Finally, I'll leave you with a link to a 10 Year! Event cache in Antioch, California, which contains a very good, and very brief, description of the history of Geocaching: 10 Years! Antioch.