January 9, 2010

The Numbers, Part II

In my last post, I mentioned how I really like the FindStatsGen GSAK macro that generates all sorts of pretty charts, graphs, maps and statistics based on your cache finds. This drew a comment from blog reader David, who reminded me that there are many free (my favorite word) online tools available that can produce similar results.

It has been a while since I looked at some of the web-based geocaching reporting tools out there, and indeed, many more have cropped up since then. One such tool that I recently came across that really impressed me was My Geocaching Profile. If you want to see a sample of the output, check out my latest gc profile.

For the most part, the results that this tool generates are pretty similar to what you get from FindStatsGen. But some of the differences that I like are:

  1. The inclusion of "GeoAchievement Badges"
  2. Maps of Your Progress on Challenge Caches (such as the DeLorme series)
  3. The "Well-Rounded Cacher" Progress Report



To use this online tool, all you have to do is create a free account and upload the pocket query of your caching finds. You can then upload the output result to your Geocaching.com profile.

About the only thing I didn't like was having to enter my list of FTF's, one by one. And even though you can get a few more details from the GSAK macro, My Geocaching Profile is a nice alternative, especially if you do not use GSAK.

Cache On!

No comments: