July 5, 2008

GPSr Hunt

Since my recent tragedy on the trail, I've started thinking that it might be time to consider a GPSr upgrade. Not because my trusty Gramin GPS 12 unit isn't working any more (on the contrary, it's working just as beautifully as it did the day I got it), but because I've had it for nearly 10 years now and I think it's safe to say at this point that geocaching isn't just some passing fancy of mine.

While the GPS 12 has many great features, some of the newer Garmin models have some additional perks that I've always secretly wished mine had. Primarily, a color display with the ability to add background maps. So, just out of curiosity, I started looking around at different Garmin models and price ranges. And while the Colorado 400t is my ideal dream machine, it's way out of my price range.

Instead, I've narrowed my search to the GPSMAP 60CSx, the eTrex Summit HC , and the eTrex Vista HCx.


All are high-sensitivity devices with basemaps, the ability to add maps, a compass, an altimeter, and automatic routing (except the Summit). And, the Vista and 60CSx can hold up to 1,000 waypoints, compared to the 500 maximum points my GPS 12 holds.

When these units were first introduced a few years ago, their retail prices were quite a bit higher than you can find them selling for now on some of these web sites:

GPS Garage Sale (Geocaching Forums)
eBay
Froogle
Craigslist

And of course, the very slightly used models can be had for even less. So while I still haven't actually made a final decision, the more I look, the closer I get to hitting the buy (or bid) button. If any of you out there have any thoughts or suggestions on this topic, I'd love to hear them.

Cache On!

4 comments:

Josh said...

I have the Vista Hcx and it works fine. I got to play with a friends Colorado. Man, that thing is amazing. If I had the money, I would definitely pull the trigger on one of those.

Geocaching With Team Hick@Heart

GeoJoe said...

Thanks for the feedback on the Vista HCx. Definitely one of the top two I'm considering. And I'm with you on the Colorado. I got to see one in action, and thought it was absolutely the perfect geocaching device - without a doubt.

BoggyWoggy said...

My "new" GPSr arrived today! I'd dropped my other, which I absolutely adored, and was able to find the exact model on Ebay for $120.50, including shipping! Such a deal, considering I'd originally paid about $395 for the other. It's the Magellan Colortrak Sport, which is no longer made, but I love it!
Happy caching!

Just John said...

Having owned an Etrex and a 60 (not the Csx, just the 60), I can say that I like the side-mounted controls on the Etrex better...easier to find and use in the dark or while driving.