July 31, 2010

Thank You, Oh Mighty v4.0.1

You may have caught one of my recent rants about problems with loading pocket queries on the Geocaching iPhone application after the release of version 4.0. In short, any time I tried to load a PQ containing more than 500 cache listings, the application crashed.


Well either I really frightened Groundspeak, or plenty of other people were having the same problem (more likely, the latter), but this issue seems to have been fixed with the release of version 4.0.1 this week. There are about a half dozen improvements listed in the 4.0.1 release notes:


  • Bing Maps zoom level now matches what it used to be.
  • iPad now shows the compass button on map if it has an electronic compass available.
  • We fixed the dates which were showing up as blank on iPhone OS 4.0.
  • Geocache descriptions now scale to fit the page, and can be zoomed in on if needed.
  • If location services are disabled, the main search screen now indicates this and explains how to turn them on.
  • Improved performance of Pocket Query download.
  • Photos can now be accessed from a Pocket Query geocache's details screen.
Not only can I now load large Pocket Queries onto my device without fear of crashing the application, but Groundspeak also included some nice informational screens throughout the process that reassure the user that everything is working just fine.


1. I go to the download PQ screen:


2. I've select a PQ containing 750 caches and am ready to download:



3. A friendly warning screen appears explaining that this action might take some time:



4. I politely ignore the warning and proceed to download:



5. After informing me that the application is unpacking my PQ, it then moves on to saving my PQ; complete with status bar:



6. And, Success!




Thank you Groundspeak!


Cache on!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: